Marketing & Advertising Committee
Typically meets the third Thursday of each month, 8:30 a.m.
The marketing committee’s role is to enhance Birmingham’s image as a retail, service and entertainment destination. The marketing committee provides direction on the BSD's marketing, branding, and messaging initiatives. The Committee shall be responsible for:
Marketing and Advertising Agendas & Minutes
- Providing direction on the Birmingham Magazine.
- Build on current brand and develop creative market outreach programs.
- Advise staff on strategies and development for various marketing communications channels and web presences including, electronic/social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.), newsletter, public relations, website, printed collateral, television, and radio advertising.
- Maintain and build relationships with key industry partners and members of the press in conjunction with staff efforts.
Amy Pohlod - Chair
Zachary Kay, Jessica Lundberg, Sam Surnow
Special Events Committee
Typically meets the second Friday of each month, 8:30 a.m.
The BSD hosts and sponsors many special events during the course of the year. Some events are designed as retail driven activities while others are image-builders for the city and provide opportunities for you to introduce your business to potential new customers. For a calendar of events please visit our website www.ALLINBirmingham.com. Some events include:
Special Events Committee Agendas & Minutes
- Birmingham Restaurant Week in January/February
- Birmingham Farmers Market, Sundays May-October
- Day On The Town street fair and sidewalk sale in July
- Birmingham Movie Nights in June, July and August
- Birmingham Cruise Event in August
- Holiday Tree Lighting and Santa House in November
- Birmingham Winter Markt in December
Richard Astrein - Chair
Kamala Cummings, Doug Fehan, Beth Hussey, Zachary Kay, Sarvy Lipari, Amy Pohlod, Judy Solomon
Maintenance and Capital Improvements Committee
Typically meets the second Tuesday of each month, 8:30 a.m.
Birmingham BSD works hard to create an attractive, safe and pedestrian friendly shopping environment. Some of the projects include:
Maintenance and Capital Improvements Committee Agendas & Minutes
- Holiday lighting and decoration throughout downtown.
- Sidewalk snow removal in front of all businesses in the BSD.
- Summer Floral program with over 185 baskets and 35 planters around the downtown area.
- Storefront flower watering in the summer, in conjunction with the City of Birmingham DPS.
- Daily trash clean-up in the downtown area.
Sarvy Lipari - Chair
Glenn Ceresnie, Doug Fehan, Amy Pohlod, Ron Rea, Bill Roberts, Steve Quintal
Business Development Committee
Typically meets the fourth Thursday of each month, 8:30 a.m.
Business development and retention has taken a significant role in the BSD’s Activities. In 2009 the BSD hired a retail leasing consultant to help fill some of the vacant storefronts with significant retailers that can help anchor the other businesses. In addition, the BSD’s role includes:
Business Development Committee Agendas & Minutes
- Maintain a database of all members and a list of available retail and office space on www.ALLINBirmingham.com and in print.
- Work closely with commercial real estate brokers, property owners and managers to maintain a healthy retail and business mix in the central business district.
- Develop and maintain marketing materials designed to tell Birmingham’s story to retailers and to commercial real estate professionals.
Sam Surnow - Chair
Geoffrey Hockman, Mike McKenzie, Steve Quintal
Typically meets the Tuesday before the Board meeting of each month, 8:30 a.m.
The BSD Executive Committee's role is to provide coordination, communication, and organization for the board and it's constituent committees and subcommittees. The Executive Committee provides oversight, delegates items to committees, and formulates board agendas.
Geoffrey Hockman, Chair
Richard Astrein, William Roberts, Amy Pohlod, Douglas Fehan
Executive Committee Agenda & Minutes
Join a BSD Committee
Become more involved with the Birmingham Shopping District by filling out an application to join one of the following committees: Business Development, Special Events, Maintenance and Capital Improvements and/or Marketing. The BSD Board will review your application and you will be notified regarding the status of your request. Download the rules and application today!