Marketing & Advertising Committee
Meets the third Thursday of each month, 8:30 a.m. (The September 2021 Marketing Committee Meeting is moved to September 9, 2021 at 8:30 a.m.)
The marketing committee’s role is to enhance Birmingham’s image as a retail, service and entertainment destination. The marketing committee provides direction on the BSD's marketing, branding, and messaging initiatives. The Committee shall be responsible for:
Marketing and Advertising Agendas & Minutes
- Providing direction on the Birmingham Magazine.
- Build on current brand and develop creative market outreach programs.
- Advise staff on strategies and development for various marketing communications channels and web presences including, electronic/social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.), newsletter, public relations, website, printed collateral, television, and radio advertising.
- Maintain and build relationships with key industry partners and members of the press in conjunction with staff efforts.
Special Events Committee
Meets the second Friday of each month, 8:30 a.m.
The BSD hosts and sponsors many special events during the course of the year. Some events are designed as retail driven activities while others are image-builders for the city and provide opportunities for you to introduce your business to potential new customers. For a calendar of events please visit our website www.ALLINBirmingham.com. Some events include:
Special Events Committee Agendas & Minutes
- Birmingham Restaurant Week in January/February
- Birmingham Farmers Market, Sundays May-October
- Day On The Town street fair and sidewalk sale in July
- Birmingham Movie Nights in June, July and August
- Birmingham Cruise Event in August
- Holiday Tree Lighting and Santa House in November
- Birmingham Winter Markt in December
Maintenance and Capital Improvements Committee
Meets the second Tuesday of each month, 8:30 a.m.
Birmingham BSD works hard to create an attractive, safe and pedestrian friendly shopping environment. Some of the projects include:
Maintenance and Capital Improvements Committee Agendas & Minutes
- Holiday lighting and decoration throughout downtown.
- Sidewalk snow removal in front of all businesses in the BSD.
- Summer Floral program with over 185 baskets and 35 planters around the downtown area.
- Storefront flower watering in the summer, in conjunction with the City of Birmingham DPS.
- Daily trash clean-up in the downtown area.
Business Development Committee
Meets the fourth Thursday of each month, 8:30 a.m.
Business development and retention has taken a significant role in the BSD’s Activities. In 2009 the BSD hired a retail leasing consultant to help fill some of the vacant storefronts with significant retailers that can help anchor the other businesses. In addition, the BSD’s role includes:
Business Development Committee Agendas & Minutes
- Maintain a database of all members and a list of available retail and office space on www.ALLINBirmingham.com and in print.
- Work closely with commercial real estate brokers, property owners and managers to maintain a healthy retail and business mix in the central business district.
- Develop and maintain marketing materials designed to tell Birmingham’s story to retailers and to commercial real estate professionals.
Join a BSD Committee
Become more involved with the Birmingham Shopping District by filling out an application to join one of the following committees: Business Development, Special Events, Maintenance and Capital Improvements and/or Marketing. The BSD Board will review your application and you will be notified regarding the status of your request. Download the rules and application today!