The BSD has the following four operational committees that meet regularly:
The BSD provides a full range of publications and online presence, with the goal of enhancing Birmingham’s image as a retail, service and entertainment destination. Responsibilities include:
- Website - www.ALLINBirmingham.com. Merchants receive a free listing and page on this site. There is a calendar of events, news, and available commercial property listing posted as well.
- Facebook Page Birmingham Shopping District.
- Birmingham Magazine, published three times per year, offering merchants a quality, affordable advertising platform reaching over 40,000 households.
- Visitors Guide of downtown Birmingham, categorizing and listing retail and service business.
- Multi-media advertising campaigns featuring online, print, television and radio advertising.
Special Events Committee-
The BSD hosts and sponsors many special events during the course of the year. Some events are designed as retail driven activities while others are image-builders for the city and provide opportunities for you to introduce your business to potential new customers. For a calendar of events please visit our website www.ALLINBirmingham.com. Some events include:
- Birmingham Restaurant Week in January/February
- Birmingham Farmers Market, Sundays May-October
- Day On The Town street fair and sidewalk sale in July
- Birmingham Movie Nights in June, July and August
- Birmingham Cruise Event in August
- Holiday Tree Lighting and Santa House in November
- Birmingham Winter Markt in December
Maintenance and Capital Improvements Committee-
Birmingham BSD works hard to create an attractive, safe and pedestrian friendly shopping environment. Some of the projects include:
- Holiday lighting and decoration throughout downtown.
- Sidewalk snow removal in front of all businesses in the BSD.
- Summer Floral program with over 185 baskets and 35 planters around the downtown area.
- Storefront flower watering in the summer, in conjunction with the City of Birmingham DPS.
- Daily trash clean-up in the downtown area.
Business Development Committee-
Business development and retention has taken a significant role in the BSD’s Activities. In 2009 the BSD hired a retail leasing consultant to help fill some of the vacant storefronts with significant retailers that can help anchor the other businesses. In addition, the BSD’s role includes:
- Maintain a database of all members and a list of available retail and office space on www.ALLINBirmingham.com and in print.
- Work closely with commercial real estate brokers, property owners and managers to maintain a healthy retail and business mix in the central business district.
- Develop and maintain marketing materials designed to tell Birmingham’s story to retailers and to commercial real estate professionals.
Join a BSD Committee